About Me

My photo
My husband and kiddos mean everything to me, and I love teaching those sassy 8th graders! Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5&6

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What Are You Reading Good?

My school district has provided me the unique opportunity to participate in the Smart Step Literacy Lab Classroom Project, a professional development opportunity for teachers of grades 4 - 12. It is based upon current research that supports educational pedagogy. Literacy Lab is a compliment to a standards based curriculum, not a prescribed curriculum, and it requires a two-year commitment. It consists of seven days of training each year. Both years are broken into three days of training in the summer and two days of training in both the fall and spring. I have already attended the three day summer session which I enjoyed very much. Crossett School District gave me $600 to build my classroom library this summer. As much as I love books, I was in heaven! My students have been reading those books like crazy! I only wish they had sent another $600 with me this time. I mentioned that to my assistant principal today at the workshop...for some reason, he just gave me 'the look'. :)

This Tuesday and Wednesday (101210 and 101310) I returned to Harding University in Searcy, AR to attend days 4 and 5 of my Beta 2 year. Yesterday consisted of fluency instruction in a reading workshop environment and designing, maintaining and perpetuating classroom libraries. Today consisted of an introduction to Comprehension Strategy Instruction; review of research and identification of the strategies and best practices in teaching; and Gradual Release of Responsibility Model. His workshops are interactive as he encourages input and questions. He makes a point to spend a significant amount of time asking all the teachers his trademark question, "What are you reading good?" He encourages teachers to ask their students this question every day to encourage reading rich conversations. His workshop was very informative, and I can appreciate the fact that he insists he is not teaching anything new but sharing research-based strategies that others have proven true and effective. On our last Saturday class at UAM, I didn't get to tell Dr. Zimmerly this, but I could hear 'Stamatis' in her presentation even before we saw the film of him. I caught up with him at break and actually 'name dropped' and told him that Dr. Zimmerly was my instructor. He knew exactly who I was referring to and was very sweet to take a picture with me. I told him I would include his picture on my blog, and he was happy to do it. Right now, I am reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. What are you reading good?

No comments:

Post a Comment